In John Q, Denzel Washington played a father who took advantage of every conceivable and inconceivable risk to save the life of his son who was battling with his life with an enlarged heart. But for the living heart of a woman who was feared dead through an accident Denzel’s son would have gone.
If you have watched the movie before it portrays the unthinkable steps Denzel took and to his surprise how/why he held people hostage to create a bargain for the son’s life. I have some questions for you:
- If he had calculated the risks and rewards ahead of the attempts he made would he have saved the son’s life?
- Does the end justify the means? Sometimes?
- Would you want to be 100% sure of everything before you take that first step to your greatness, even if no greatness would be assured?
- What/who is holding you back?
- Are you willing to pay the price? As adjudged, Denzel went to prison to do time after that.
- What will you never sacrifice?
- What do you define as ‘personal security’?
- How deep or wide can family/people drive you?
These questions and more direct you to the path of purposeful living.
Seems risk could a beautiful thing…..
Written by: Benjamin Yaw Manu